Week beginning Sunday, 16th January, 2022
CHECK IN WITH THE APP TASCHECK IF POSSIBLE
Please remember that your free will offering helps us serve God in our local community. Your contributions can be collected. Contact Betty.
INTRODUCTION TO THE GOSPEL READINGS:
To help us understand Christ’s use of parables…
A ‘parable’ is an illustrative story, by which a familiar idea is cast beside an unfamiliar idea in such a way that the comparison helps people to better understand and grasp the unfamiliar idea. The word ‘parable’ comes from the Greek word (parabolee), para means besides, and ballo means to cast or throw.
The parables that Jesus told were part of his gospel; therefore, they are parables for all peoples throughout all nations and throughout all time.
Access via Zoom will is available for those unable to attend in person. If you are new to our worship centre and plan to attend, please ring the church number listed in the phone book or in Telstra Whitepages.
Please note: It is necessary to check in, to use hand sanitiser and to wear masks unless medically exempt or under 12 when entering the Worship Centre.
We have re-commenced covid-safe morning teas.
Sunday, 23rd January, 2022 ( Third Sunday after Epiphany)
Bible Readings: John 3: 1-21; Psalm 139: 13-18 (Narrative Lectionary)
On Sunday, 30th January, there will be a cluster service at 10 a.m. at Wynyard to celebrate the centenary of their building. Please bring a plate of food to share.
There will not be a service at Devonport that day.
Our Congregation Members are invited to bring non-perishable items on Holy Communion Sundays in support of our Uniting programme - Grandparents Raising Grandchildren.
Seasonal Workers: Our church has donated 10 doonas and covers to this group and they were most appreciative. They will happily accept more donations.
Tuesday, 18th January:- The Conversation Group will meet at the Worship Centre at 2.30 p.m. to discuss "100 Days of Rejection".
Thursday, 20th January:- Men's Group.
PRAYERS, THANKSGIVING AND NEEDS
- We give thanks for the life, faith and courage of Archbishop Desmond Tutu and remember those grieiving his loss.
- Those working to respond to and manage the latest COVID variant, for those sick with the virus and all those experiencing fear and anxiety. Those impacted by and responding to a COVID-19 cluster in the Northern Territory. We pray that those who need it have access to healthcare and vaccines.
- Those in our community who are struggling with health issues and for our congregation members as we care for one other.
- For the Hillcrest School community, Devonport, following the tragic accident at the end of year gathering. For the first responders - police, paramedics and others and for the medical staff, chaplains and counsellors and all those supporting those impacted.
- For the Uniting Church as we consider together how our identity and foundations are guiding us into a faithful future.
- The people of the Solomon Islands in the wake of unrest in the capital city, Honiara. We pray for a peaceful resolution.
- A generous and compassionate response to the millions displaced Afghan refugees living in fear and insecurity.
- Those whose homes are not safe places and who live in fear of gender-based violence. May they find spaces of safety, support, healing and strength. Those across the world who are taking a stand against gender-based violence.
- People escaping family violence and for the work of UnitingCare agencies as they roll out a new program that will support women, children and families to leave abusive situations.
- For Rev. Fee and Rev. Susan and all those who lead worship in our Cradle Coast Cluster.
- Beryl's Recycled Cards - One of our enterprising ladies, Beryl, supplies a range of attractive recycled cards for a variety of occasions. These cards are available for only $2.00 each. All proceeds are donated to worthy causes. Please see Beryl after the service if you need cards. Beryl would like to thank everyone for continues support. (And we would like to thank Beryl for her wonderful effort.)
- Update:- Until July 2020 - $3065
- November 2020:- Evening Fellowship Cancer Research Appeal - $50; Grandparents Raising Grandchildren - $50
- May 2021:- Share Winter Appeal -$100 September 2021:- Afghanistan Emergency Appeal - $100; Total - $3354
- This is in spite of COVID limitations - Well done Beryl!!
Great news - the Cabbage Basket is back.